We're glad you're here

Looking for information about Christian Science branch churches and Christian Science? We're Second Church, Richmond, Virginia, and we'd love to share with you healings, ideas, remarks, and information supplied by our members. Stop back often, we're a busy site.



Saturday, April 23, 2011

Grief and Loss Healed

A few years ago just after my grandfather passed away, my sister and I went to visit our dad in another state. During our visit we went hiking in a rural mountain area. At one of the places we stopped to view the scenery, we left our cellphones and several other items in my dad's truck. While we were away from the truck someone broke in and stole several things including our cellphones and even tried to set the truck on fire. After making this discovery and overcoming the initial shock, we drove to the local police station. A report was filed, but there seemed little that could be done. While we were at the police station waiting for someone to take our statement, I was affirming that God's man does not steal.

That night the weekly Wednesday evening testimony meeting was held at the local Christian Science Society. During this meeting I stood up and gave gratitude for God's protection that day. Even though things had been stolen from my dad's truck, no one had harmed us, and the attempt to burn my dad's truck was unsuccessful. As soon as I stood up to give this testimony, the feelings of fear from that day dissolved.

I called a Christian Science practitioner to help pray with me. She said that we needed to work on a sense of loss relating to the passing away of my grandfather and the things that were stolen.

A few weeks later, it was determined that the person responsible for the theft was from a prominent and well to do family in that area and that he had become involved with illegal drugs. As a result of this his family had disowned him. It became clear to me that what this person needed was love. At that moment I forgave this person and asked God to let him know that he is loved.

After this I felt a sense of peace and any fear or sense of being violated went away. Most everything that was taken from the truck was recovered and those things that were not were easily replaced or let go of.

I am grateful for this opportunity to learn more about God's love for his children.

No comments: