We're glad you're here

Looking for information about Christian Science branch churches and Christian Science? We're Second Church, Richmond, Virginia, and we'd love to share with you healings, ideas, remarks, and information supplied by our members. Stop back often, we're a busy site.



Monday, June 06, 2011

The Prayerful Mechanic

I was cutting grass with a three-blade, 48 inch deck walk behind mower when a bungee cord hanging from a bracket came loose, dropped onto the deck, and wedged itself into the blade driver. Then it twisted itself and threw the drive belt off, halting the mower and my day.

I'm not a mechanic by nature. Something either works, or it doesn't.  The mower clearly wasn't working, and even th ugh I was able to pull the bungee cord out, it left a twisted  drive belt on the mower's deck. I couldn't figure out how to put the belt back on.  Every attempt resulted in several feet of slack belt and an inoperable mower.

Having exhausted every idea I  had, I felt I had no option but to load up the mower and take it to a mechanic. I then realized I could pray about this problem.  As a Christian Scientist, I understand God to be Mind, the source of all ideas.  Mary Baker Eddy begins the definition of God as "The Great I AM: The all-knowing..."  I reasoned that the solution  to this mechanical problem was known to God, and that there could never be a problem beyond God's control.  Made as the reflection of this Mind, I had the solution already. I knew the communication was always from God to Man.

Just that quickly, what needed to be done became apparent.  I took the belt completely off, straightened out the twists, and began with a different sequence to reattach it.  Immediately, the damage was repaired.
Before returning to work, I finished this "healing" by expressing gratitude for the immediate availability of God's help and support.

No comments: