We're glad you're here

Looking for information about Christian Science branch churches and Christian Science? We're Second Church, Richmond, Virginia, and we'd love to share with you healings, ideas, remarks, and information supplied by our members. Stop back often, we're a busy site.



Thursday, February 17, 2011

Humor and Healing

I can't tell you how many times a good laugh over the silliness of Mortal Mind has lifted me out of a so-called problem.  Know that old chestnut? How many Christian Scientists can you fit in a Honda?  Answer: An infinite number if they're in one Accord. The image alone makes me smile

I remember once I was dealing with a problem that, humanly speaking, looked pretty serious.  I was praying and working with a Christian Science practitioner (someone who helps people through prayer), and I was getting worse, not better.  Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to be impressed by this lie about me, no matter how loudly the pain was screaming at me that it was real, and I'd better believe in it, by golly!  No way.  At that point, the pain shifted from one side of my body to the other, and all I could do was laugh out loud at how preposterous the whole picture was. It was as if the pain was saying, "okay, you won't believe in me over here, so I'll move around somewhere else until you do believe in me."  That was the end of that problem.  Healing complete.

Having a good, solid chuckle at a lie never fails to defuse it of any supposed power it claims, but in reality, can't have.

No comments: