I am so grateful for having been raised in Christian Science and to have attended the Christian Science Sunday School. Even though I was only five, I can remember the Sunday School teacher's explination that God is my Father/Mother - a perfect parent who loves me unfailingly, who is the only power (good) and always present with me.
This had not been my human experience with my parents and at the time that I was enrolled in the Sunday School, I had been abandoned and left with relatives to be raised.
This gift of God as all good and as my only parents healed my grief and gave me courage and strength - it sustained me when the school councilor classified me as an at-risk student, because of my home situation.
The next big lesson I took away from Sunday School reversed this diagnosis - that human history has no power to determine today's experience. It could not touch my present. All that was active in my life was right this moment - me and God - divine Love who was guarding and guiding my life. I could let go of the past and dwell in the present.
I had perfect attendance throughout 12 years of school and received outstanding grades, held many elective offices in high school and was a member of the principal's school leaders group.
Although there were no family funds for a college education, I was offered a full scholarship including housing when the time came.
We think it is a miracle when the rules are broken by which we tend to dictate the direction of our lives, but the truth is that your Father/Mother is teaching you to look through these self-created limitations and beliefs to see God's hand in all things.
No comments:
Post a Comment